Research shows that when new parents receive education about breastfeeding before their baby arrives, they are more prepared to overcome early challenges and have breastfeeding success. You may have heard that breastfeeding is the best thing a new mum can do for her baby and have many questions about the what, why, when and how of feeding your new baby. You may have also heard some horror stories about breastfeeding and may be feeling worried. Many women wish to express their colostrum (early breastmilk) before the baby arrives and need assistance with this. (continues below)
Our 90-minute consultation will be spent understanding your specific concerns and answering all of your questions, to give you confidence and awareness of what to expect in those early days and weeks of life with a new baby. The appointment can involve you and your partner or support person and encompass some or all of the following:
- Expressing colostrum before baby arrives
- What to expect in the early days with a newborn
- Normal newborn feeding behaviour
- Newborn sleep and settling
- Breastmilk: from colostrum to mature milk
- How to attach a baby at the breast
- Positioning and attachment
- Signs baby is hungry for a feed
- How to tell if baby is getting enough milk
- When to reach out for help with breastfeeding
- Expressing, equipment you may need
- Breastfeeding nutrition
- Practical tips to support breastfeeding in the early days at home.
To make a booking, please click the button below.